Converting visitors to your web site into customers can be a company’s biggest marketing challenge.
Here’s one way to do it…the “Explainer” video.
According to an article by TechCrunch.com, “explainer videos are short videos that tell a company’s story and provide businesses with a clear and effective way to convey their value proposition to their target audience.”
How to make an explainer video:
If you are going to make a video, here a few basic rules to keep in mind:
- Don’t just make a product walkthrough. An explainer video is not effective if it is just a product demo, that walks through all the features. The key to a successful video is to answer the questions “How does this product fit into your customers lives?” and “Why should your customers use it?”
- Prioritize your message and keep it short- 45 to 90 seconds is best.
- Include a call to action at the end. Explainer videos perform better if the user knows what to do after the video is done.
- Prominently feature the video. Make sure the video is on your company’s homepage, and place a large “play” button on the still of the video to maximize effectiveness.
- Production quality does matter. A concise script, good design, clear visuals, and good quality audio all make a difference in whether users watch the video, and how they react to it and to your product/service.
How can explainer videos help your company?
- Explainer videos can be repurposed and utilized on platforms way beyond your company’s homepage. Videos can be included in email signatures, used to start presentations or be shared by your company’s sales team.
- Help your fans evangelize your product or service. Video is a tool that can be easily shared on social media platforms. After the release of an explainer video on Visual.ly’s homepage, “the company received over 80,000 signups months before the company actually went live!”